Sports and PE Funding
New Sports Coach at Whaplode Church of England Primary School
Children of all ages now work with Miss Cox our sports coach during the school week. So far this term the children have had access too: rounders, tennis, ball skills and athletics. This is in addition to our swimming time!
Lincolnshire School Games Festival
On Sunday 9th July 4 of our year 4 children took part in a tennis tournament at the 2017 Lincolnshire School Games Festival. The team had previously won a local tennis tournament to qualify for the festival.
The team gave a very good account of themselves all winning at least one match and finished an overall 6th.
Well Done to the Year 4 tennis squad who took part in an Agilitas run Tennis competition during June.
Our squad consisted of three teams. Each team behaved impeccably well and gave a very good account of themselves. Our teams finished 1st, 3rd and 5th!
The team that that finished 1st has now qualified for a Regional final in Grantham on Sunday 9th July.
Well done to all who entered and good luck for the 9th July!
Fun in the Swimming Pool
2016-2017 PE Questionnaire Results June 17
Survey was completed by children from Year 2 – Year 6
- 96% of the children surveyed enjoy P.E lessons most of the time.
- 99% of children feel that they are correctly equipped for their P.E lessons.
- Swimming and Games are the most popular aspect of P.E in school.
- 89% of children enjoy playing team games
- 86% of children enjoy working in pairs.
- 70% of children enjoy developing new skills.
- 85% of children have a good knowledge of ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- 76% of children understand the importance of eating healthy.
In April 2013 the Government announced that it would be providing additional funding to improve the provision of PE and sport in primary schools. This funding has been available to schools since the start of academic year 2013-2014. This initiative has been devised to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport across primary schools. Ideally, this will in turn promote healthy lifestyle choices and give children the opportunities to reach the performance levels they are capable of.
At Whaplode (Church of England) Primary School we will be allocating the funding in the following ways:
- Employing qualified coaches to work alongside teachers in lessons to increase their subject knowledge and confidence in sport, specifically PE and Swimming.
- Developing a PE Partnership with other local Primary Schools, to promote competition within peer groups, throughout the school.
- Enhancement of extra-curricular clubs with the emphasis on encouraging our less active children to participate.
- Development of Sports Leaders initiative to develop all year round lunchtime activities.
- Early establishment of sports teams in KS1, to ensure skills progression and production of a more effective and competitive squad.
- Establishing partnerships with local community sports clubs to enable children to experience a wider variety of activities.
- Recognising and supporting children who are Able, Gifted and Talented in PE and sports.
We are already working hard to develop these initiatives, building on our already established and successful sporting projects.
A summary of how our funds will be spent is as follows:
Estimated Total Grant for 2017/2018 is £9,015
You can see a summary of how our funds will be spent in our PE Funding Action Plan