Sports and PE Funding
Cross Country 1 April
Well done to all who took part in a Cross Country competition with other local primary schools.
Year 5 & 6 Indoor Athletics 12th February
Amazing effort from all of our athletes qualifying for the small schools regional indoor athletics competition later in the year. There were some very tough opposition and you all did brilliantly. Well done everyone and good luck for the competition in June.
In April 2013 the Government announced that it would be providing additional funding to improve the provision of PE and sport in primary schools. This funding has been available to schools since the start of academic year 2013-2014. This initiative has been devised to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport across primary schools. Ideally, this will in turn promote healthy lifestyle choices and give children the opportunities to reach the performance levels they are capable of.
At Whaplode (Church of England) Primary School we will be allocating the funding in the following ways:
- Employing qualified coaches to work alongside teachers in lessons to increase their subject knowledge and confidence in sport, specifically PE and Swimming.
- Developing a PE Partnership with other local Primary Schools, to promote competition within peer groups, throughout the school.
- Enhancement of extra-curricular clubs with the emphasis on encouraging our less active children to participate.
- Development of Sports Leaders initiative to develop all year round lunchtime activities.
- Early establishment of sports teams in KS1, to ensure skills progression and production of a more effective and competitive squad.
- Establishing partnerships with local community sports clubs to enable children to experience a wider variety of activities.
- Recognising and supporting children who are Able, Gifted and Talented in PE and sports.
We are already working hard to develop these initiatives, building on our already established and successful sporting projects.
A summary of how our funds will be spent is as follows:
Estimated Total Grant for 2017/2018 is £9,015
Year 5 & 6 Swimming 16th January
A massive well done to our swimmers who won the small schools swimming competition to qualify for a regional final. Special mention to Sophie Hammond for storming to victory in her 50m front crawl race. Brilliant effort everyone, you were all superstars.
Year 6 Dodgeball 13th December
Some of our year 6s took part in a dodgeball competition, reaching the semi-final to finish 4th overall. We had a lot of fun developing skills and techniques. Well done everyone.
KS2 Goalball 4th December
Some of our Key Stage 2 children were able to try a new sport called goalball. They had fun learning new skills including aiming and throwing with a blindfold on. Brilliant work everyone.
Year 5 & 6 football competition 13th November
Well done to our year 5 & 6 football team who put in a fantastic effort to come away with 2nd place in the Lincolnshire South East School Sport Partnership football competition. You all worked brilliantly as a team and we are very proud of your efforts. You are superstars! Keep up the good work.
KS2 Cross Country Competition 25 September
Brilliant effort from the team taking part in the Key Stage 2 cross country competition in Spalding. We competed against a lot of other local schools. Everyone did their best and should be very proud of themselves. Well done everyone.
Year 6 Swimming Results
Meeting national curriculum requirements for swimming and water safety.
Percentage of Year 6
What percentage of your current Year 6 cohort swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres?
What percentage of your current Year 6 cohort use a range of strokes effectively?
What percentage of your current Year 6 cohort perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations?
We came Second at a recent Indoor Athletics competition
Our recent KS2 day trip to PGL
Well done to our Year 4 & 5 football team who finished 3rd in a Lincolnshire South East School Sport Partnership Year 5 & 6 football competition!
New Sports Coach at Whaplode Church of England Primary School
Children of all ages now work with Miss Cox our sports coach during the school week. So far this term the children have had access too: rounders, tennis, ball skills and athletics. This is in addition to our swimming time!
Lincolnshire School Games Festival
On Sunday 9th July 4 of our year 4 children took part in a tennis tournament at the 2017 Lincolnshire School Games Festival. The team had previously won a local tennis tournament to qualify for the festival.
The team gave a very good account of themselves all winning at least one match and finished an overall 6th.
Well Done to the Year 4 tennis squad who took part in an Agilitas run Tennis competition during June.
Our squad consisted of three teams. Each team behaved impeccably well and gave a very good account of themselves. Our teams finished 1st, 3rd and 5th!
The team that that finished 1st has now qualified for a Regional final in Grantham on Sunday 9th July.
Well done to all who entered and good luck for the 9th July!
Fun in the Swimming Pool
2016-2017 PE Questionnaire Results June 17
Survey was completed by children from Year 2 – Year 6
- 96% of the children surveyed enjoy P.E lessons most of the time.
- 99% of children feel that they are correctly equipped for their P.E lessons.
- Swimming and Games are the most popular aspect of P.E in school.
- 89% of children enjoy playing team games
- 86% of children enjoy working in pairs.
- 70% of children enjoy developing new skills.
- 85% of children have a good knowledge of ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- 76% of children understand the importance of eating healthy.