Sport and PE Funding
New Sports Coach at Whaplode Church of England Primary School
Children of all ages now work with Miss Cox our sports coach during the school week. So far this term the children have had access too: rounders, tennis, ball skills and athletics. This is in addition to our swimming time!
Children from Years 3 & 4 and Years 5 & 6 entered a Handball competition with four other local primary schools.
After an incredibly good effort the Year 3 & 4 team finished 3rd and after being unbeaten until the final the Year 5 & 6 team finished 2nd. Well done to all that entered.
22 children from Year 5 and 6 have been taking part in a Bikeability course. It took place on the playground and local roads and we are please to announce that all the children passed!
We have had some new 'Outdoor Gym Equipment' installed to further enhance our P.E lessons and the Year 3's have been trying them out.
On Monday 29th June we entered two Tag-Rugby teams into a competition at a local primary school. A Year 3 & 4 team and a Year 5 & 6 team. Both teams represented the school brilliantly and showed some outstanding sporting qualities.
The Year 3 & 4 team finished Second out of Five teams and the Year 5 & 6 team also came Second out of seven teams.
On Monday 18th May children from Key Stage One and Key Stage Two entered an Athletics competition at University Academy Holbeach, with six other local schools.
Whaplode Church of England Primary School children had an excellent time and finished first in the Key Stage One competition and second in the Key Stage Two competition.
For the past week some children from Year 5 & Year 6 have taken part in a BikeWise course and have ALL PASSED!
Children have received a certificate and band from Sports2day for excellent work throughout their dogdeball sessions.
Gymnastic Award Winners
These children have received level 7 & 8 awards.
Sports for Champions
On Thursday 9th October Rebekah Wilson of TeamGB 2 women Bobsleigh well be attending Whaplode Church of England Primary School to help with our fund raising event. During the day all children will be taking part in a circuit training session and Rebekah will be on hand to give out prizes and to lead an assembly.
Rebekah started athletics at the age of nine trying all different events before settling with 100m. In 2010 Rebekah was approached by Paula Walker to compete in the two-women bob. The partnership proved to be a successful one with as Rebekah and Paula were selected to represent TeamGB at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
In April 2013 the Government announced that it would be providing additional funding to improve the provision of PE and sport in primary schools. This funding will be available to schools in the academic years 2013-2014, 2014-2015 and has been extended to 2015-2016
This initiative has been devised to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport across primary schools. Ideally, this will in turn promote healthy lifestyle choices and give children the opportunities to reach the performance levels they are capable of.
At Whaplode Church Of England Primary School we will be allocating the funding in the following ways:
- Employing qualified coaches to work alongside teachers in lessons to increase their subject knowledge and confidence in sport, specifically PE and Swimming.
- Developing a PE Partnership with other local Primary Schools, to promote competition within peer groups, throughout the school.
- Enhancement of extra-curricular clubs with the emphasis on encouraging our less active children to participate.
- Development of Sports Leaders initiative to develop all year round lunchtime activities.
- Early establishment of sports teams in KS1, to ensure skills progression and production of a more effective and competitive squad.
- Establishing partnerships with local community sports clubs to enable children to experience a wider variety of activities.
- Recognising and supporting children who are Able, Gifted and Talented in PE and sports.
We are already working hard to develop these initiatives, building on our already established and successful sporting projects. Estimated Total Grant for 2016/2017 is £8,945.
You can see a summary of how our funds will be spent in our PE Funding Action Plan
Survey was completed by children from Year 2 – Year 6
- 96% of the children surveyed enjoy P.E lessons most of the time.
- 99% of children feel that they are correctly equipped for their P.E lessons.
- Swimming and Games are the most popular aspect of P.E in school.
- 89% of children enjoy playing team games
- 86% of children enjoy working in pairs.
- 70% of children enjoy developing new skills.
- 85% of children have a good knowledge of ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- 76% of children understand the importance of eating healthy.
- We have employed two coaches from ‘Sport2day’ to spend two afternoons in school each fortnight. Simon and Sean are excited to be working with us over this coming year and have a number of activities already planned.
- Years 1,2,5 and 6 are already taking part in great active P.E lessons with the possibility of entering competitions between other schools over this coming term. Simon and Sean are also running a Multi-skills lunch time club for Years 3 and 4.
- We look forward to working with our two coaches and cannot wait to start entering competitions.
We are already working hard to develop these initiatives, building on our already established and successful sporting projects.
A summary of how our funds will be spent is as follows:
Total Grant - £9000
More information can be found on our PE Funding Action Plan.
Click on the pictures to make them larger.